Snowshoeing & Cross-Country Skiing in Newfoundland & Labrador
This is the kind of place that looks good in the vibrant greens and blues of summer, the explosive reds and yellows of fall and, of course, the pristine white canvas that is winter. And visiting during this time of year means you get access to some amazing trails for the experienced and novice alike. In fact, if you're new to winter sport, most places offer ski and/or snowshoe rentals and many ski clubs and organizations often set up group outings and events.
St. John's / Avalon
The Outfitters Adventure Gear & Apparel. Founded in 1998, The Outfitters supplies top-quality equipment and specialty clothing for all your outdoor adventures. In the winter months they arrange snowshoe hikes around St. John's and the Avalon. To keep updated on events, throw them a like on their Facebook page.
Bowring Park. Created in 1914 and carefully designed to accent the natural environment of the area, this park is just as gorgeous in the winter as it is in the summer. The Park operates a snowshoeing winter activity centre on Saturdays and Sundays with snowshoe rentals available.
Pippy Park. Located in the heart of St. John’s, Pippy Park offers excellent winter recreation for the novice and the experienced alike. Here you can enjoy Nordic or skate skiing, snowshoeing or tobogganing against the backdrop of ponds and snow pines. The Pippy Park Winter Activity Centre offers both ski and snowshoe rentals.
Clarenville Nordic Ski Club. These winter lovers offer some fantastic programming in snowshoeing and cross-country skiing and maintain a beautiful and scenic trail network complete with warm-up huts.
White Hills Resort, Clarenville. With 40 groomed trails for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing, this resort is a must visit for the winter enthusiast. This enjoyable 3.5-kilometre loop is lit every night until midnight.
Exploits Nordic Ski Club, Grand Falls-Windsor. A brand new chalet in the central region features tons of trails, some of which are lit until 9pm during the week and 10pm on the weekends. Equipment rentals are available and social skis are regularly organized.
The Airport Nordic Ski Club, Gander. This organization has access to 16 kilometres of trail. Five kilometres are lit nightly until 10pm and 5.5 kilometres are dedicated to snowshoeing. Their social skis feature toe-tapping music and scrumptious food.
Riverfront Chalets. Located on the Exploits River, this chalet offers guided tours for guest including four pairs of snowshoes and lots of snowy trails.
Indian Falls Chalets, Springdale. Here, a snowshoe package will see you trek the banks of the Indian River, learning about the local wildlife and the Indigenous history of the area. The experience includes a boil-up with tea and fire-roasted sandwiches.
Pasadena Ski & Nature Park. A west coast adventure awaits with your choice of six groomed trails, ranging from 1 to 5 kilometres with options for the novice and the experienced alike. A cozy chalet awaits you at the end of your journey.
Blow Me Down Cross Country Ski Club, Corner Brook. At this ski club you're treated to 42 kilometres of beautiful, groomed trails. The club regularly hosts events, the most popular of which being a group ski day with a winter boil-up.
Whaleback Nordic Ski Club, Stephenville. Here you can really plan your route with a wide selection of gorgeous criss-crossing trails ranging from novice to moderate. The club hosts regular events like night skis – some candlelit!
Gros Morne National Park. Some unique routes are available in these gorgeous surroundings. The Shallow Bay Trails, for example, follow the old mail route through the forests and snow-covered sand dunes. Guided snowshoeing and skiing tours are also available from Gros Morne Adventures and Wild Gros Morne.
Menihek Nordic Ski Club, Labrador City. This absolutely breathtaking club consists of 16 kilometres of recreational trail for classic and skating cross-country skiing, with six kilometres lit for a magical nighttime ski. The most popular trail is the Koch Trail, designed by 1982 World Cup Champion Bill Koch with multiple loops and challenging hills.
Birch Brook Nordic Ski Club, Happy Valley-Goose Bay. At this club you'll find excellent groomed trails and a large yet cozy lodge awaiting you. This club regularly hosts events like BBQs and winter concerts.
Do you have a tale to tell about a visit to Newfoundland and Labrador?Tell us your story
- Hiking in the Humber Valley & Bay of Islands
- 6 Picture Perfect Locations on the Burin Peninsula
- 5 Photo Ops in St. Pierre et Miquelon
- The Haunting of Julie's Harbour
- Eating Local in Eastern Newfoundland
- Our Favourite Pit Stops En Route to Saint-Pierre…
- Exploring the Colourful Murals of Botwood
- There's No Place Like Dildo
- Six Amazing Things You Can Experience Only on a…
- The Breathtaking Seabird Capital of North America
- Thru Hiking the East Coast Trail
- Snowshoeing & Cross-Country Skiing in Newfoundland…
- Where to Have The Best Outdoor Adventures on Newfoundland's…
- Finding Francois, A First Person Essay
- Waking up with the whales on Quirpon Island, Newfoundland
- Come to the Home of Come From Away
- The Capital of Kindness
- Why can’t it be the destination and the journey?
- A Journey Home
- Our Top Traveller Photos from 2019
- Expedition 51°: Travelling the Québec-Labrador Highway
- Our Top Traveller Photos From 2018
- Top 10 Bucket List Items in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Four of the best places to visit in The Big Land
- Local food takes Newfoundland and Labrador cuisine…
- Four unique ways to discover Western Newfoundland…
- Exploring Eastern Newfoundland, one hike at a time
- The Museums and Galleries of St. John's
- Experience art in unexpected places
- This Newfoundland Town Is the ‘Root Cellar Capital…
- With a song in my heart. A little Newfoundland town…
- A “Come from Away” Actor Discovers Newfoundland…
- Sea Stacks and Solitude: Hiking Over 300 kms of…
- Kindness Comes From Within
- Welcome to Scenic Green Bay
- Five Ways to Experience Icebergs in Newfoundland…
- Picture Perfect on the Avalon Peninsula
- Snowmobile tours showcase mountain views, wildlife…
- Snowshoes, Skidoos and More Winter Fun in Newfoundland
- White Hills Ski Resort: Living up to its name
- Experience Adventure at Marble Mountain
- Mealy Mountains — Newfoundland and Labrador's Fourth…
- Preparing For a Day Hike in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Four Hidden Gems of the Burin Peninsula
- Come From Away musical inspires tour of Gander
- Top Tips for a Visit to Saint-Pierre and Miquelon
- Four Reasons to Take a Trip Down the Heritage Run
- Avalon Peninsula - A Top Rated Coastal Destination…
- Why 2018 is the year to visit these little-known…
- Along Newfoundland’s East Coast, creativity lurks…
- How to Spend the Weekend in France Without Leaving…
- Newfoundland Road Trips: Guide to the Baccalieu…
- From Rhode Island to a Warm Welcome in Newfoundland
- Five Places to Visit on Newfoundland's Irish Loop
- 5 Ways to Travel Off the Beaten Path Out West
- Red Bay UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Newfoundland Road Trips: Guide to the Kittiwake…
- Finding French Connections in Eastern Newfoundland…
- Sunrise and Sunset across the Burin Peninsula
- The Wooden Boat Museum
- Four Great Hill Hikes in Eastern Newfoundland
- Leave your footprints on these five pristine beaches…
- Come From Away
- Hot Spots for History Buffs on the Avalon Peninsula
- World-class skiing, Canada’s highest zip line await…
- Snowshoes, Skidoos and More Winter Fun in Newfoundland
- Skiing Gros Morne National Park
- South of Saglek: A Nunatsiavut Adventure
- Winter caving adventures in western Newfoundland
- Darwin Would Have Loved the Cliffs of Newfoundland…
- Top three attractions along Newfoundland and Labrador's…
- Mid Winter Bivver celebrates snowmobiling and food
- Western Newfoundland’s winter wonders
- A Week in Central Newfoundland
- Come From Away Finds the Humanity in Tragedy
- Come From Away: A Great Play Featuring The Awesome…
- 5 Not To Miss Spots on a Central Newfoundland Road…
- A 9/11 Parable, Resurrected in Newfoundland
- Come From Away: the musical that dares to deal with…
- The Surprises of Central Newfoundland
- Mistaken Point, N.L., Canada's New UNESCO Site…
- Things to do on the Irish Loop, Newfoundland
- Escape to Newfoundland’s Stress-Free Avalon
- Top 10 Oceanfront Cities
- Avalon Peninsula steals your heart
- Newfoundland and Labrador: Avalon Peninsula
- The best trail you’ve likely never heard of is on…
- Experiencing The Best of St. John’s Newfoundland…
COVID-19 UPDATE: Newfoundlanders and Labradorians get to rediscover home this year, and we welcomed our Maritime neighbours on July 3. Call or connect with operators / venues before you go, as details on the website may be modified by COVID-19. Future travellers from elsewhere, please keep dreaming and check back for travel updates.