The Breathtaking Seabird Capital of North America
It’s never too early to start planning your visit to Cape St. Mary’s Ecological Reserve. And while late summer and early fall are good times to arrive, it’s in the early summer when this wonderful bird sanctuary really bursts with life. Tens of thousands of migrating seabirds perched almost within arm’s length, whales offshore, possibly an iceberg – and the heart-stopping beauty of a rugged coastline blanketed in a velvet green wash of mist and sunshine.
Birdwatching at Cape St. Mary's
Cape St. Mary’s is the most accessible seabird rookery in North America, full every summer with hordes of razorbills, common murres, black-legged kittiwakes, northern gannets, gulls, double-crested and great cormorants, scoters, long-tailed ducks, harlequins, dovekies, thick-billed murres, eiders and kittiwakes. The focal point is Bird Rock, the third-largest nesting site and southernmost colony of northern gannets on the continent.
It’s a place where you can stand just 20 metres away from the most intense flurry of bird activity you might ever see. It doesn’t matter if you’re an avid birdwatcher or just there for the scenery. You can’t help but be impressed by the living, breathing, swooping, elegant, screaming mass of nature.
And as if the outdoors wasn’t enough, Saturday evening throughout the summer you can attend Cape St. Mary’s Performance Series, which showcases artists from around this prolifically creative province, set against the scenic backdrop of the glass viewing area inside the interpretation centre.
Cape St. Mary's Ecological Reserve (not to be confused with the town Cape St. Mary’s) is located on the Cape Shore Drive off Route 100, approximately two hours from St. John's.
For information on birdwatching tours in the area and around the province, check out this link to our plan and book section on our website.
Do you have a tale to tell about a visit to Newfoundland and Labrador?Tell us your story
- There's No Place Like Dildo
- Six Amazing Things You Can Experience Only on a…
- Snowshoeing & Cross-Country Skiing in Newfoundland…
- Why can’t it be the destination and the journey?
- A Journey Home
- Our Top Traveller Photos from 2019
- Our Top Traveller Photos From 2018
- Top 10 Bucket List Items in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Local food takes Newfoundland and Labrador cuisine…
- The Museums and Galleries of St. John's
- This popular B&B overlooks puffin-filled islands…
- Five Ways to Experience Icebergs in Newfoundland…
- Picture Perfect on the Avalon Peninsula
- Birdwatching in Bay Bulls and Witless Bay
- Preparing For a Day Hike in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Birding Newfoundland: The Avalon Peninsula in June
- Avalon Peninsula - A Top Rated Coastal Destination…
- Newfoundland Road Trips: Guide to the Baccalieu…
- From Rhode Island to a Warm Welcome in Newfoundland
- Five Places to Visit on Newfoundland's Irish Loop
- The Wooden Boat Museum
- Leave your footprints on these five pristine beaches…
- Hot Spots for History Buffs on the Avalon Peninsula
- Newfoundland: Where to Find Puffins
- Birding In The National Parks: A Second Look At…
- My Day With Puffins in Elliston, Newfoundland
- Things to do on the Irish Loop, Newfoundland
- Escape to Newfoundland’s Stress-Free Avalon
- Top 10 Oceanfront Cities
- Avalon Peninsula steals your heart
- June birding in the Codroy Valley
- Newfoundland and Labrador: Avalon Peninsula
- The best trail you’ve likely never heard of is on…
- Puffin Encounters in Elliston, Newfoundland
- Hiking in Canada: Cape St. Mary’s Ecological Reserve…
- Cape St. Mary's Sea Bird Ecological Reserve Is A…
- Cape St. Mary's: Why a short, scenic walk gives…
- Experiencing The Best of St. John’s Newfoundland…
Videos far, far off the beaten path
COVID-19 UPDATE: Newfoundlanders and Labradorians get to rediscover home this year, and we welcomed our Maritime neighbours on July 3. Call or connect with operators / venues before you go, as details on the website may be modified by COVID-19. Future travellers from elsewhere, please keep dreaming and check back for travel updates.