Come From AwayBy Newfoundland & Labrador
Our province has a rich history of hospitality, rooted in the small, tight-knit communities that made us who we are over hundreds of years. That spirit endures to this day, and the award-winning Broadway musical Come From Away tells a story of that hospitality in action, on one of the world’s worst days.
On September 11th, 2001 hundreds of flights were diverted when American airspace was shutdown. The Gander International Airport had to find space for 38 international planes and almost 7,000 newly stranded passengers.
Gander isn’t a large town – the visitors almost outnumbered the locals – and making room for all those unexpected guests, along with eleven dogs, nine cats, and two Bonobo apes, was quite a challenge.
What followed in the days after was an outpouring of love and compassion, an opening of homes and hearts as Gander residents housed and fed people from all over the world, providing stability in a truly frightening period of time.
Many years later, the writers of Come From Away decided it was time to tell this story. Perhaps a tale of warmth and hospitality could find a way to soothe the memory of that horrible day, while honoring the loss and change that came with it.
And while it’s no surprise to us, their songs celebrating our legendary hospitality were well received in Toronto and eventually New York. Culminating in overwhelmingly positive reviews and a Tony award, the musical has truly brought the heart and soul of our province to a new audience.
Come From Away continues on Broadway and returns to Toronto starting in February of 2018. The show will also tour across Canada, playing to audiences in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa during Broadway Across Canada's 2018-19 season. There are also tour stops in the USA beginning in Seattle in October of 2018 with additional stops being set at a later date.
Do you have a tale to tell about a visit to Newfoundland and Labrador?Tell us your story
- A “Come from Away” Actor Discovers Newfoundland and…
- Hiking the Damnable Trail
- Our Favourite Photos of 2022
- How to Turn a Foggy Day into Something Special
- Our Favourite Photos From 2021
- Exploring the Colourful Murals of Botwood
- Welcome to Scenic Green Bay
- The Haunting of Julie's Harbour
- Leave your footprints on these five pristine beaches…
- A Journey Home
- Six Amazing Things You Can Experience Only on a Hike…
- Hiking the Damnable Trail in Central Newfoundland
- Five Ways to Experience Icebergs in Newfoundland…
- Kindness Comes From Within
- Off-the-Beaten-Path Birding in Central Newfoundland
- Preparing For a Day Hike in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Why can’t it be the destination and the journey?
- Finding Francois, A First Person Essay
- Snowshoeing & Cross-Country Skiing in Newfoundland…
- Our Favourite Pics From 2020
- Top 10 Bucket List Items in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Come to the Home of Come From Away
- The Capital of Kindness
- Our Top Traveller Photos from 2019
- Our Top Traveller Photos From 2018
- Come From Away musical inspires tour of Gander
- Newfoundland Road Trips: Guide to the Kittiwake Coast
- Mid Winter Bivver celebrates snowmobiling and food
- A Week in Central Newfoundland
- Come From Away Finds the Humanity in Tragedy
- Come From Away: A Great Play Featuring The Awesome…
- 5 Not To Miss Spots on a Central Newfoundland Road…
- A 9/11 Parable, Resurrected in Newfoundland
- Come From Away: the musical that dares to deal with…
- The Surprises of Central Newfoundland