What to Pack for your Newfoundland and Labrador ExperienceBy Newfoundland & Labrador
Around here it is possible to experience all four seasons in one day. The island portion of the province has a temperate marine climate which essentially means that you can have a thick layer of fog that dissipates to beautiful sunshine in 5 minutes. If you are headed out our way, we’ve prepared a list of things to pack that will make your adventures more comfortable and enjoyable. Just like the old saying goes: “there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes.”
Specifically a wide-brimmed hat. The weather can be deceptive in Newfoundland and Labrador, and yes, the sunshine will give you a burn pretty easily on a nice day. Sunscreen and a hat are must-haves for your packing list even if you may not use them constantly. Just in case, you should also pack a warm hat, especially if you’ll be on the water and the fog rolls in.
Walking Shoes / Boots
There is off-the-beaten-path and then there is this place. Comfortable shoes or walking boots are a must for exploring. Whether you hike along our hundreds of kilometres of trails, have a lighthouse picnic or stroll around a quaint fishing village, you will want to bring comfortable footwear. Your feet will thank you the next day.
Rain and Wind Proof Shell
Fog, rain, wind and the sea spray, we get it all in this province. A good breathable wind and rain shell is a great idea and a must have item to bring along. It’s useful on a boat tour or if the weather changes while you are on a walk. A good shell is lightweight, breathable and folds-up easily in a daypack.
Comfortable Warm Layers
Layers, layers and layers, we can’t say it enough. Dress in layers when on an excursion and you will thank yourself a hundred times over. Give yourself the option to add or subtract one or more layers and you won’t need to worry. If you layer up, you can always “peel” off and still enjoy your visit in comfort, no matter the weather! When the sun shines, you will find paradise and you can dress accordingly.
Warm Wool Socks
There is nothing quite like the feel of fresh wool socks. There is a sense of comfort and possibility for adventure to be had. The nice thing is that they dry quickly or will still insulate if you happen to get them wet. Make sure you toss a pair in your suitcase, just in case, or pick up a pair of vamps at a local craft store.
A small day pack is the perfect accessory to carry on a day trip. It doesn’t need to be big, but rather convenient. You could put it in your suitcase, or maybe it’s your carry-on if you are flying into the province.
Newfoundland and Labrador is a virtual feast for the eyes so be sure to bring along your camera and binoculars to have close at hand!
Do you have a tale to tell about a visit to Newfoundland and Labrador?Tell us your story
- Unique Places to Stay in Newfoundland & Labrador
- Expedition 51°: Travelling the Québec-Labrador Highway
- Family Friendly Activities in Eastern Newfoundland…
- Trip Planning 101
- Golfing in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Exploring the Southwest Coast of Newfoundland
- St. John’s to St. Anthony: Coastal Adventures in…
- 3 Epic Coastal Road Trips in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Awesome Eco-Tours in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Come From Away to Discover Newfoundland, Canada's…
- Eleven Canadian Signature Experiences to take in…
- The Shipwrecks of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Our Favourite Pit Stops En Route to Saint-Pierre…
- Ale Tales: The Story of Craft Breweries in Newfoundland…
- Five Reasons to Drive and Take the Scenic Route
- Why can’t it be the destination and the journey?
- Top 5 Motorcycling Drives in Western Newfoundland
- Travel the WORLD Right Here in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Top 10 Bucket List Items in Newfoundland and Labrador
- How to Plan 4 Days While Based in St. John's - A…
- Four unique ways to discover Western Newfoundland…
- Natural selections. Wild times in Newfoundland.
- These are the 4 things you must eat next in St. John's
- Newfoundland And Labrador's 12 Most Beautiful Places
- Neighborhood Stroll: Where to eat, stay and shop…
- An unspoiled island with much of Iceland's allure
- 8 Reasons to Add Newfoundland Travel to Your Bucket…
- Discover Newfoundland And Labrador For Yourself
- A Road Trip through Newfoundland and Labrador
- Better Than AirBnB: Sleep In A Lighthouse On Iceberg…