Top Places for StargazingBy Newfoundland & Labrador
Our geographic location at the easternmost edge of the continent also gives us our own off-kilter perspective. When you arrive on our shores, you'll have your pick of places to stargaze, and perhaps even see the northern lights, but the following are good places to start.
Terra Nova National Park
This national park in the eastern part of the island is the first Dark Sky Preserve in Newfoundland. Campsites at Malady Head and Southwest Arm are secluded spots near the ocean, and if you are looking for a place more remote, try Dunphy’s Island in the freshwater Dunphy’s Pond. All three are far removed from any population centres, offer varying amenity levels, and will give you a true night sky free from the light pollution that hampers stargazing in the city. For something different, try one of the new Oasis accommodations at Malady Head campground. These water-drop shaped treehouses sit on stilts, sleep 2 adults and 2 kids, and have a clear glass roof, so you can sleep in comfort with an unimpeded view of the galaxy.
Torngat Mountains, Labrador
Northern Labrador is one of the best places to see the northern lights, and you can explore it at Torngat Mountains National Park. You can also join local Inuit guides on an overnight trip into spectacular fjords where their ancestors camped and walked for centuries. Listen to the ancient stories and legends of the area as you sip on hot tea and eat food prepared over an open fire.
Brimstone Head, Fogo Island
The small population on this isolated island-off-an-island means a wide night sky with little light pollution. Stargaze undisturbed at what the Flat Earth Society considers one of the four corners of the Earth.
L’Anse Aux Meadows, UNESCO World Heritage Site
At the top of the Northern Peninsula sits the home of the first European settlers in North America – the Vikings. Take in the same view of the Milky Way as the Norse settlers more than a thousand years ago - which to a star feels like seconds. A place like this gives you more than history and perspective. When you look up at night you’ll see a view of the galaxy not many can claim to see.
Gros Morne National Park, UNESCO World Heritage Site
There are many great places to view the night sky in Gros Morne. Perhaps you'll choose The Tablelands, a place that looks as if it could be the setting for the next Star Wars movie. Here, where the continents of Africa and North America collided and exposed the richly colour ocean floor, the otherworldliness of the landscape is a perfect match for the spectacular stars and galaxies above. Whether you bring C3PO as your guide is up to you.
At the southwestern tip of Newfoundland sits the Codroy Valley, with sandy beaches and vast rolling hills. You can see for miles during the day, and experience a whole galaxy at night. Like all the places on this list, it is free from light pollution and urban sprawl.
Battle Harbour is about as far away from the everyday as you can get. Located in Southern Labrador, it is a place perfect for unplugging from the modern world. Situated on the coast and unencumbered by contemporary afflictions like wi-fi or roads, make sure to bring your telescope – and your childlike wonder – to see the whole sky the way it is intended to be seen.
These are just a few of the top places to stargaze around Newfoundland and Labrador, but there are many more. When you find a special place to look upon the heavens, take a pic share it with us using #ExploreNL.
Do you have a tale to tell about a visit to Newfoundland and Labrador?Tell us your story
- Expedition 51°: Travelling the Québec-Labrador Highway
- Our Favourite Photos From 2021
- Smartphone Photography 101 with Dru Kennedy
- Wild and Free: A Guide to Wildlife in Terra Nova…
- The 5 UNESCO designated cultural and natural wonders…
- A Guide To Newfoundland's Magical Gros Morne National…
- Hiking Through the Remote, Northern Torngat Mountains…
- Love Letter to Fogo Island
- Experience Fall in Gros Morne
- 10 Unique Rainy Day Adventures in Gros Morne National…
- Why can’t it be the destination and the journey?
- 5 Reasons to Explore Terra Nova National Park
- Begin your Journey at the World's End
- Travel the WORLD Right Here in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Our Favourite Pics From 2020
- Where you can see the 'soul' of the Earth
- Amazing Grace: A Journey Through the Torngat Mountains…
- Canada's little-known Emerald Isle
- Learning to Fish for Cod in Battle Harbour
- Is the Fogo Island Inn worth the hype?
- Battle Harbour, Labrador - Photo Essay
- Hiker’s guide to Gros Morne National Park
- Great auks, puffins and other reasons to love Fogo…
- Our Top Traveller Photos From 2018
- How to Get Your Photo Taken at the Iconic Western…
- Backpacking the Trails of Gros Morne National Park
- 10 Best Hiking Trails in Gros Morne National Park
- The Best Time of the Year to Visit Gros Morne
- Discover wild and windswept Fogo Island, beyond the…
- In the stars: Terra Nova National Park named Canada's…
- A Road Trip through Newfoundland and Labrador
- 5 Reasons Newfoundland’s Gros Morne National Park…
- Fogo Island: Newfound beauty in Newfoundland
- Fact and fiction collide at flat Earth museum on…
- The Answer to 'Why Hike?' is in the Journey
- A Guide to Newfoundland: A Rugged, Remote Foodie…
- Exploring Terra Nova National Park by Land & Sea
- The little pony that built Newfoundland
- So you’ll never scale Everest. Explore these seldom…
- Journey Through the Torngat Mountains
- 5 things to do in the Torngat Mountains
- Torngat mountains: Let the spirit move you
- A Window into Summer in the Torngats
- 15 Reasons You Should Visit The Torngat Mountains…
- Unplug From It All In Beautiful Battle Harbour
- The 8 Best Places To See The Northern Lights In Canada
- A Far-flung Destination off the Coast of Labrador…
- Journey to the sights of Newfoundland
- If Can content is your thing, then you must head…
- Western Brook Pond, Truly a Great Lake
- Western Newfoundland: A Lighthouse Picnic & Hiking…
- A Hike to the Summit of Gros Morne Mountain in Newfoundland
- World's Best Hikes: 15 Classic Trails
- Sking Gros Morne National Park
- Natural beauty, rich culture in Newfoundland’s Gros…
- Fantastic Fjords of North America
- A Boat Ride You Won't Forget
- Backpacking the Long Range Traverse
- Go Here: Gros Morne National Park In Winter
- Eastern Canada’s 10 Best Campsites
- Find The 4 Architecturally Stunning Artist Studios…
- Change in Change Islands
- Fogo Island Inn offers taste of life as an islander
- Canada: Go to Fogo
- Fogo, Newfoundland: the world's wildest arts scene?
- What? Is that in Africa?
- This Is the Most Remote and Magical Hotel on Earth
- Gwyneth Paltrow finds ‘heaven’ on Newfoundland’s…
- Gobsmacked in Newfoundland & Labrador
- I went to one of the four corners of the world