The Signal Hill Star: A Holiday TraditionBy Newfoundland & Labrador
Photo above: JP Mullowney / ©Parks Canada
This holiday poem is brought to you in collaboration with our friends at Parks Canada.
The lighting of the Signal Hill star is a beloved local tradition that takes place every December on Cabot Tower at the Signal Hill National Historic Site to mark the beginning of the holiday season. The star lights up the hill at the same time as other prominent locations in the city, including the Confederation Building and the Parkway. Signal Hill's first star appeared in the 70's, but it didn't last long (due to poor weather). A sturdier design came about in the 80's, and it has been a tradition ever since! In 2015, a local engineering student named Kevin LaFleur redesigned the star in a compass form.
The Signal Hill Star
T’was the month of December and all through the town,
Like a great herd of reindeer, all were dashing around.
The malls and the streets and the shops were all hopping
People coming and going, doing their shopping.
Then atop Signal Hill, there came a bright light!
A symbol of hope shining all through the night.
Signal Hill is a place that most everyone knows
When there’s something to celebrate, it’s where everyone goes.
Friends new and old find themselves crossing paths,
Children wave with delight at ships going past.
In days gone by maids stood there and waited,
Upon Ladies’ Lookout, a perch elevated.
When Marconi heard that first trans-Atlantic sound,
A new connection was made, without touching the ground.
Moments in history dot the landscape
And majestic vistas give a sense of escape.
Upon Cabot Tower, a star is lit
To celebrate the strength of the human spirit.
It’s a special place truly, our Signal Hill
Shine on bright star, let’s give them a thrill!
Do you have a photo of the Signal Hill star to share? Tag us (@NewfoundlandLabrador on Instagram) or use the hashtag #ExploreNL!
Do you have a tale to tell about a visit to Newfoundland and Labrador?Tell us your story
- The Shipwrecks of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Finding French Connections in Eastern Newfoundland…
- Signal Hill National Historic Site
- George Street
- The Secret History of the Baccalieu Coastal Drive
- Rowing Rings Around the Competition
- Why can’t it be the destination and the journey?
- Ryan Premises National Historic Site
- Out here, there's a story around every corner.
- The Museums and Galleries of St. John's
- Travel the WORLD Right Here in Newfoundland and…
- The 5 UNESCO designated cultural and natural wonders…
- 10 Things to Eat, See, and Do in St. John's, Newfoundland…
- 16 Beautiful Hiking Trails in St. John’s
- How to Plan 4 Days While Based in St. John's - A…
- Fish, Feast, & Fire - A Newfoundland Tradition
- ‘May Your Big Jib Draw’: Seven Irresistible Reasons…
- A Day in Quidi Vidi
- An art curator's guide to N.L.'s largest public…
- Things To Do in St. John’s Newfoundland
- The 17 Essential Restaurants of St. John’s, Newfoundland
- Explore the Provincial Historic Sites of Newfoundland…
- How to do a foraging day trip out of St. John's
- These are the 4 things you must eat next in St.…
- 24 Hours In St Johns, Newfoundland and Labrador
- The road to Valhalla: Viking adventures in northeast…
- The Great Auk Sculpture
- Neighborhood Stroll: Where to eat, stay and shop…
- The Halloween Haunted Hike: A Ghost-hunters Guide…
- Notable Lighthouses in Newfoundland and Labrador
- What to Do On a Fall Trip to St. John’s, Newfoundland
- In St. John's, the weather decides if you get the…
- Come From Away musical inspires tour of Gander
- Have breakfast in London, lunch in Newfoundland…
- Hiking back in time to the year 1612 in Trinity…
- Newfoundland scenic fishing village Quidi Vidi a…
- Discovering St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador
- St. John’s Will Steal Your Heart
- How to Explore St. John's in One Day
- Avalon Peninsula - A Top Rated Coastal Destination…
- Canada's Vital Role in the Communications Revolution
- Newfoundland Food and Traditions - St. John's
- 7 Must-Try Restaurants In St. John’s
- From Rhode Island to a Warm Welcome in Newfoundland
- Moose, Anyone? In Newfoundland, Food Both Rustic…
- Why the History of St. John’s, Newfoundland, is…
- The First European Settlement in the New World
- Hot Spots for History Buffs on the Avalon Peninsula
- Beothuk Interpretation Centre Provincial Historic…
- Pirates, Port Wine, and Cool Caves in St. John's…
- 17 Epic Places You Never Thought To Travel, But…
- What To Do, See, And Eat In St. John's, N.L.
- 28 Fun And Interesting Facts About St. John’s, Newfoundland
- Fork in the Map: St. John’s Newfoundland
- Newfoundland and Labrador: Avalon Peninsula
- The best trail you’ve likely never heard of is on…
- Food as art and entertainment makes Newfoundland's…
- Summer in the City: 11 Things to Do in St. John’s
- North America's most unlikely culinary capital…
- A Visual Guide to Atlantic Canadas Secret Foodie…
- Experiencing The Best of St. John’s Newfoundland…