Signal Hill National Historic SiteBy Newfoundland & Labrador
Stand atop Signal Hill and let your soul be stirred by the crack of muskets and the roar of cannon fire. Discover the story of how British and French soldiers battled fiercely to control this strategic location. Explore the iconic Cabot Tower and experience a view of St. John's and the North Atlantic that is truly spectacular.
As its name implies, centuries before the advent of ship-to-shore radio, signalman perched on Signal Hill and surveyed the ocean for ships headed toward the port of St. John's. Flag signals flown on the hill communicated the names of arriving ships to those who inhabited the harbour-front below.
Take a journey back in time to 1901, when the famous Guglielmo Marconi made communications history at Signal Hill by receiving the first ever transatlantic wireless signal.
The military and communications significance of Signal Hill is well documented and presented at the Visitor Centre. Staff will guide you through the story of Signal Hill and a short presentation in the theatre will allow you to discover the human experience of Signal Hill. Visitors can also take a self-guided tour with Parks Canada's new EXPLORA unit – ask for it at the Visitor Centre.
During the summer months, experience a performance of the award-winning Signal Hill Tattoo. This engaging re-enactment demonstrates the military drills of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment of foot as formed in 1795.
The experience at Signal Hill is very much an outdoors one. Be sure to hike the five kilometres of trails, especially the famous North Head Trail, which offers a unique traverse along the Narrows of St. John's Harbour and into the colourful community called the Battery.
The Johnson GEO CENTRE and surrounding Geopark are the hill's other main attraction. The GEO CENTRE, built partially into a small pond that was drained to expose the rock, uses the plentiful geology of Newfoundland and Labrador to explore the evolution of the planet. Drop by the Visitor Centre for a guided tour.
Signal Hill National Historic Site is conveniently located in the east end of St. John's on Signal Hill Road. For more information, visit the Parks Canada official website: http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/nl/signalhill/index.aspx
Do you have a tale to tell about a visit to Newfoundland and Labrador?Tell us your story
- Public Art in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Our Favourite Lighthouses in Eastern Newfoundland…
- Waiting for Whales at Cape Spear Lighthouse
- The Halloween Haunted Hike: A Ghost-hunters Guide…
- The 5 UNESCO designated cultural and natural wonders…
- Where to Weekend: St. John’s, Newfoundland
- The Lighthouse Route – Start Exploring the Rock
- Port Union's Fascinating History
- Signal Hill: A must-see attraction with a colourful…
- The Stiles Cove Path From Start to Finish
- Where to Weekend: St. John’s, Newfoundland
- The Shipwrecks of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Finding French Connections in Eastern Newfoundland…
- George Street
- The Secret History of the Baccalieu Coastal Drive
- Rowing Rings Around the Competition
- Why can’t it be the destination and the journey?
- The Signal Hill Star: A Holiday Tradition
- Ryan Premises National Historic Site
- The Museums and Galleries of St. John's
- Travel the WORLD Right Here in Newfoundland and Labrador
- 10 Things to Eat, See, and Do in St. John's, Newfoundland…
- 16 Beautiful Hiking Trails in St. John’s
- How to Plan 4 Days While Based in St. John's - A…
- ‘May Your Big Jib Draw’: Seven Irresistible Reasons…
- A Day in Quidi Vidi
- Things To Do in St. John’s Newfoundland
- Explore the Provincial Historic Sites of Newfoundland…
- Out here, there's a story around every corner.
- How to do a foraging day trip out of St. John's
- These are the 4 things you must eat next in St. John's
- 24 Hours In St Johns, Newfoundland and Labrador
- The road to Valhalla: Viking adventures in northeast…
- The Great Auk Sculpture
- Neighborhood Stroll: Where to eat, stay and shop…
- Notable Lighthouses in Newfoundland and Labrador
- In St. John's, the weather decides if you get the…
- Come From Away musical inspires tour of Gander
- Have breakfast in London, lunch in Newfoundland at…
- Hiking back in time to the year 1612 in Trinity Bay
- Newfoundland scenic fishing village Quidi Vidi a…
- St. John’s Will Steal Your Heart
- How to Explore St. John's in One Day
- Avalon Peninsula - A Top Rated Coastal Destination…
- Canada's Vital Role in the Communications Revolution
- Newfoundland Food and Traditions - St. John's
- From Rhode Island to a Warm Welcome in Newfoundland
- The First European Settlement in the New World
- Hot Spots for History Buffs on the Avalon Peninsula
- Beothuk Interpretation Centre Provincial Historic…
- Pirates, Port Wine, and Cool Caves in St. John's…
- 17 Epic Places You Never Thought To Travel, But Should
- What To Do, See, And Eat In St. John's, N.L.
- 28 Fun And Interesting Facts About St. John’s, Newfoundland
- Fork in the Map: St. John’s Newfoundland
- Newfoundland and Labrador: Avalon Peninsula
- The best trail you’ve likely never heard of is on…
- Summer in the City: 11 Things to Do in St. John’s
- Experiencing The Best of St. John’s Newfoundland…