Five Reasons to Drive and Take the Scenic RouteBy Newfoundland & Labrador
For centuries, people have travelled by boats and ships, across rivers, lakes and oceans. The freedom of a voyage by sea to a destination of adventure is only fitting. When driving, you have the possibility to stop and explore at a moments notice, taking routes along coasts and through forests, meeting people and soaking in the culture of villages, bays and coves.
For those who need a little reminding, or for those who have never had the opportunity, here are some reasons why your next trip to Newfoundland & Labrador should include taking your vehicle of choice on the Marine Atlantic ferry.
1) Sail Away
Would you prefer the window, the aisle or the big blue sky? The sweeping ocean scenery available from Marine Atlantic’s panoramic, open-air viewing decks is unlike anything you’ll experience with another mode of travel. Breathe in the fresh air and feel the mist of the salt water, watch for marine life and daydream as the sun sets on the horizon.
2) Bring What You Want
Bring your car or motorhome and pack your hiking boots, kayak, kitchen sink or whatever else you require for adventure. Bring what you need and your opportunities to explore our province are endless.
3) Take a load off
The journey is part of the adventure, and this journey is aboard a vessel with a cruise ship feel and panoramic views. You get a whole new sailing experience between Newfoundland and Labrador and Nova Scotia as the trip itself becomes part of your vacation. Once on-board you can sit back, relax and disconnect. Take a walk around the ship or relax and recharge in your private cabin and let the gentle roll of the ocean rock you to sleep.
While this place is off the beaten path, the summer season is particularly busy, and as a result car rental reservations can book up fast. So, why not drive your own vehicle and after making it to our shores, take your time as you explore our communities. Take a turn on a whim, visit a historic site or attraction, stop for your favourite hot beverage, detour at your leisure and explore on your own itinerary!
5) Explore More Behind The Wheel
When you travel by ferry, there are two points of entry, Port Aux Basque on the west coast and Argentia on the east coast. Both are great ways to start visiting tickles and coves, towns and bays, and both connect to a plethora of scenic driving routes.
So why not take the scenic route and enjoy everything that an ocean adventure has to offer. For ferry bookings and crossing information look here: marineatlantic.ca/
Do you have a tale to tell about a visit to Newfoundland and Labrador?Tell us your story
- Ale Tales: The Story of Craft Breweries in Newfoundland…
- Unique Places to Stay in Newfoundland & Labrador
- Top 5 Motorcycling Drives in Western Newfoundland
- Our Favourite Photos of 2022
- Expedition 51°: Travelling the Québec-Labrador Highway
- Guide to Day Tripping Brigus and Cupids
- Complete Guide to RVing in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Family Friendly Activities in Eastern Newfoundland…
- Trip Planning 101
- Golfing in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Exploring the Southwest Coast of Newfoundland
- St. John’s to St. Anthony: Coastal Adventures in…
- 3 Epic Coastal Road Trips in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Awesome Eco-Tours in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Come From Away to Discover Newfoundland, Canada's…
- Eleven Canadian Signature Experiences to take in…
- The Shipwrecks of Newfoundland and Labrador
- What to Pack for your Newfoundland and Labrador Experience
- Our Favourite Pit Stops En Route to Saint-Pierre…
- Why can’t it be the destination and the journey?
- Travel the WORLD Right Here in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Top 10 Bucket List Items in Newfoundland and Labrador
- How to Plan 4 Days While Based in St. John's - A…
- Four unique ways to discover Western Newfoundland…
- These are the 4 things you must eat next in St. John's
- Newfoundland And Labrador's 12 Most Beautiful Places
- Neighborhood Stroll: Where to eat, stay and shop…
- An unspoiled island with much of Iceland's allure
- 8 Reasons to Add Newfoundland Travel to Your Bucket…
- Discover Newfoundland And Labrador For Yourself
- A Road Trip through Newfoundland and Labrador