10 Unique Rainy Day Adventures in Gros Morne National Park
Gros Morne is an outdoor mecca for visitors with over 100km of trails, breathtaking vistas and world class experiences; however what adventures await when Mother Nature decides not to cooperate? Here are our choice picks for rainy day adventures throughout the park.
Gros Morne Wildlife Museum – Rocky Harbour - Over 100 full-size Newfoundland animals in very realistic scenes. Full size moose, polar bears, puffins and other animals found on the rock, also visit their unique boutique.
Lobster Cove Head Lighthouse - Parks Canada – Rocky Harbour - This cultural landmark features historical exhibits, short trails, combined with breathtaking sunsets and view points over the Gulf of St. Lawrence. Parks experiences include tea time with homemade sweets and stories sure to please any member of the family. Rocky Harbour Swimming Pool – Rocky Harbour - The Recreation Complex includes a 25 meter indoor pool with a shallow bay, a leisure harbor, a whirlpool, and a variety of scheduled supervised activities.
Bonne Bay Marine Station – Norris Point - Take an interactive tour of the aquarium and observe the marine plants and animals living in Bonne Bay. Get your hands wet among the sea stars, coralline algae, hermit crabs, and other curious creatures living in our ever-popular touch tank. Storyboards, underwater footage, and interactive displays inform visitors about our latest research endeavours. Tours are provided by knowledgeable, friendly, student interpreters, and are approximately 45 minutes in duration. The Jenniex House – Norris Point – Photographer's paradise lookout captures spectacular view of Bonne Bay and Tablelands. Take a tour of the Jenniex House built in 1926, a traditional salt box house that has been restored and filled with artifacts, serving tea, treats and e Newfoundland Mug-up daily.
The Discovery Centre, Parks Canada – Woody Point - Visit the Gros Morne Discovery Centre in Woody Point for a closer look at the forces of nature that have shaped the land and the people of this place. Interactive exhibits help you explore the park’s geology, plant and animal life, marine story and human history. Watch the park film, visit the Art Gallery, and pick up a souvenir from the Tuckamore Shoppe.
Crafters demonstrations and Roberts Heritage House – Woody Point – Visit Historic Woody Point waterfront, experience numerous artists and crafters demonstrations such as Galliott Studios, Molly Made Fibre Art Studio and the Hunky Dory, just to name a few. The town also has many historic homes and gift shops for you to explore.
Trout River Interpretation Centre & Fishermen's Museum – Trout River – An educational experience with artifacts and displays offering a glimpse into the unique heritage of Trout River. Features include a mini theatre, live performances and 3D geological display.
Dr. Henry N. Payne Community Museum & Craft Shop – Cow Head - Hear tales of Virtue and Villainy. 4,000 year old archaeological artifacts, 700 year old walrus skull & murder weapon of 1809. Visit their craft shop.
Broom Point Fishing Premises, Parks Canada – St. Paul’s - Step inside the fish store and tiny cabin and imagine the lives of the three Mudge brothers and their families who fished at Broom Point from 1941 to 1975. The wooden buildings, hand built boats, fishing gear and homey cabin recall the inshore fishery in open boats that once sustained Newfoundland's coastal communities.
Do you have a tale to tell about a visit to Newfoundland and Labrador?Tell us your story
- Travel the WORLD Right Here in Newfoundland and…
- The 5 UNESCO designated cultural and natural wonders…
- Where you can see the 'soul' of the Earth
- Hiker’s guide to Gros Morne National Park
- Top Places for Stargazing
- Why can’t it be the destination and the journey?
- How to Get Your Photo Taken at the Iconic Western…
- Backpacking the Trails of Gros Morne National Park
- Experience Fall in Gros Morne
- 10 Best Hiking Trails in Gros Morne National Park
- The Best Time of the Year to Visit Gros Morne
- 5 Reasons Newfoundland’s Gros Morne National Park…
- The Answer to 'Why Hike?' is in the Journey
- A Guide to Newfoundland: A Rugged, Remote Foodie…
- If Can content is your thing, then you must head…
- Western Brook Pond, Truly a Great Lake
- Western Newfoundland: A Lighthouse Picnic & Hiking…
- A Hike to the Summit of Gros Morne Mountain in Newfoundland
- World's Best Hikes: 15 Classic Trails
- Sking Gros Morne National Park
- Natural beauty, rich culture in Newfoundland’s Gros…
- Fantastic Fjords of North America
- A Boat Ride You Won't Forget
- Backpacking the Long Range Traverse
- Go Here: Gros Morne National Park In Winter