- There are many small coves to explore along the trail.
- Search for fossils embedded in the limestone rocks and watch little fish through the clear waters near shore.
- The weather has shaped and exposed the trees along the trail.
- Bald eagles and other seabirds are often spotted along the trail.
- Enjoy the fresh ocean air.
Gravels Rest Stop and Danny’s Trail
Port au Port West
May 1 - Oct 31
A favourite walking trail, birding location, and picnic area for locals and visitors alike. It's an easy seaside walk (6.4km return) through the forest along Port au Port Bay, panoramic ocean & mountain views, fresh sea breezes, and sunsets. Coastal erosion has created unique limestone formations exposing embedded marine reef fossils. Spot wildlife – rabbits, bald eagles, seabirds, seals, & occasionally whales. Many native flora species are found along the trail, including yellow lady's-slipper.