Our Favourite Pics From 2020By Newfoundland & Labrador
2020 was quite a year—for everyone. For Newfoundlanders and Labradorians it was a year to rediscover home, and as we pretty much had the place all to ourselves, we participated in Stay Home Year in a big way. Here’s a look at some of our favourite photos from 2020.
Scenic Pinware River
Just southwest of Red Bay in Labrador is Pinware River Provincial Park, one of those special places where you can truly disconnect from the modern world. Fishing, camping, hiking, and picnicking opportunities abound along the mighty Pinware River.
Rugged Bottle Cove
The stark beauty of Bottle Cove is perfectly captured here against the backdrop of a purple sky on the west coast of the island. You'll get this same view by taking a short trek along the Bottle Cove Hiking Trail. Be sure to come before sun set for the spectacular sky show from Sunset Rock.
No list of best 2020 photos would be complete without a photo of the colourful and iconic homes in downtown St. John's. As photographer Michael Kennedy puts it, here's a "handful of jellybeans."
Secluded Chance Cove
One of the most popular locations this year was definitely the tropical-esque landscape of Chance Cove. A long, sandy beach frames an isolated sea cave surrounded by shallow emerald waters—and the hiking trail to get there is just as stunning. It's no wonder this place became one of Newfoundland and Labrador's most photographed destinations in 2020.
Salvage, Eastport Peninsula
Photographer Gord Follett writes: "If you decide to visit the Eastport Peninsula, check out the town of Salvage. I made several trips to the town and spent some time taking in sunsets overlooking this little piece of land occupied by some old homes. While up on a hill overlooking this I could hear the whales coming up for air in the bay. The seabirds were plentiful this evening and the boats were working their way back in for the day. It is a great place to take in the sites and sounds while watching the sunset." Well said Gord, we couldn't have put it any better ourselves.
Chasing the Light in Twillingate
We're fairly certain that it's impossible to take a bad photo of Twillingate, the Iceberg Capital of the World. Photographer Ben Smith takes advantage of perfect lighting to capture this bright red fishing stage sitting on a rocky outcrop by the sea.
There are plenty of picture perfect locations on the Burin Peninsula, but the quaint town of Burin itself is full of old homes and eye-catching fishing stages right at the water's edge. On a calm morning walk, there's no better place to be.
Have You Met the Man in the Mountain?
Newfoundlanders and Labradorians were busy hiking throughout the fall, with the Man in the Mountain Trail offering up unparalleled views of the Humber Valley on the west coast. While this image was snapped in September, it wasn't long before the valley turned into a carpet of brilliant reds, golds, and oranges.
The Fjords of Francois
The towering fjords wrapped around the jellybean houses of Francois make this tiny boat-in community a photographer's favourite. The population is small here in one of the most remote corners of the island's south coast, but the locals are as warm as can be.
The whales were busy last summer as humpbacks, orcas, minke, and more decided to pay Newfoundland and Labrador a visit. Even the dolphins couldn't stay away! Here, Leona Rockwood photographs the sheer wonder of a humpback breaching in front of her tour boat in Trinity Bay.
If you hike to the top of Gun Hill Lookout in Harbour Breton at sunrise on a cloudless day, you'll see clear over the tops of the fjords and straight through to the Atlantic Ocean. The deep bays and inlets around Harbour Breton once provided centuries of rich fishing grounds for inhabitants of the area.
For more great photos like these, follow us on Instagram @newfoundlandlabrador and use #ExploreNL if you've got a great photo to share.
Do you have a tale to tell about a visit to Newfoundland and Labrador?Tell us your story
- A “Come from Away” Actor Discovers Newfoundland and…
- Road Tripping Around the Burin Peninsula
- Four Hidden Gems of the Burin Peninsula
- Hiking the Damnable Trail
- Top 5 Motorcycling Drives in Western Newfoundland
- Our Favourite Photos of 2022
- 5 Ways to Travel Off the Beaten Path Out West
- How to Turn a Foggy Day into Something Special
- Expedition 51°: Travelling the Québec-Labrador Highway
- Guide to St. Vincent's Beach
- Hiking in the Humber Valley & Bay of Islands
- Our Favourite Photos From 2021
- Our Favourite Lighthouses in Eastern Newfoundland…
- Family Friendly Activities in Eastern Newfoundland…
- Smartphone Photography 101 with Dru Kennedy
- Exploring the Colourful Murals of Botwood
- Welcome to Scenic Green Bay
- Mealy Mountains — Newfoundland and Labrador's Fourth…
- There's No Place Like Dildo
- The Haunting of Julie's Harbour
- Four Reasons to Take a Trip Down the Heritage Run
- The Breathtaking Seabird Capital of North America
- 5 Picture Perfect Locations on the Southwest Coast
- Exploring the Southwest Coast of Newfoundland
- 5 Things to do in Port au Choix
- Local food takes Newfoundland and Labrador cuisine…
- Exploring Eastern Newfoundland, one hike at a time
- Port Union's Fascinating History
- Leave your footprints on these five pristine beaches…
- A Journey Home
- Sea Stacks and Solitude: Hiking Over 300 kms of Newfoundland…
- Six Amazing Things You Can Experience Only on a Hike…
- 7 Stunning Hikes On The Discovery Trail, Newfoundland
- Hiking the Damnable Trail in Central Newfoundland
- The Ultimate West Newfoundland Itinerary (+Gros Morne)
- Five Ways to Experience Icebergs in Newfoundland…
- Finding French Connections in Eastern Newfoundland…
- Kindness Comes From Within
- 5 Photo Ops in St. Pierre et Miquelon
- 6 Picture Perfect Locations on the Burin Peninsula
- Our Favourite Pit Stops En Route to Saint-Pierre…
- Off-the-Beaten-Path Birding in Central Newfoundland
- The Secret History of the Baccalieu Coastal Drive
- 5 Hikes Along the Baccalieu Coastal Drive
- Preparing For a Day Hike in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Four of the best places to visit in The Big Land
- Sunrise and Sunset across the Burin Peninsula
- Why can’t it be the destination and the journey?
- The Wooden Boat Museum
- Four Great Hill Hikes in Eastern Newfoundland
- The Museums and Galleries of St. John's
- Finding Francois, A First Person Essay
- Top Tips for a Visit to Saint-Pierre and Miquelon
- Snowshoeing & Cross-Country Skiing in Newfoundland…
- Top 10 Bucket List Items in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Learning to Fish for Cod in Battle Harbour
- Where to Have The Best Outdoor Adventures on Newfoundland's…
- Come to the Home of Come From Away
- The Capital of Kindness
- Top Places for Stargazing
- Our Top Traveller Photos from 2019
- Our Top Traveller Photos From 2018
- Four unique ways to discover Western Newfoundland…
- Experience art in unexpected places
- This Newfoundland Town Is the ‘Root Cellar Capital…
- Picture Perfect on the Avalon Peninsula
- Snowshoes, Skidoos and More Winter Fun in Newfoundland
- Come From Away musical inspires tour of Gander
- Avalon Peninsula - A Top Rated Coastal Destination…
- Why 2018 is the year to visit these little-known…
- Along Newfoundland’s East Coast, creativity lurks…
- How to Spend the Weekend in France Without Leaving…
- Newfoundland Road Trips: Guide to the Baccalieu Trail
- From Rhode Island to a Warm Welcome in Newfoundland
- Red Bay UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Newfoundland Road Trips: Guide to the Kittiwake Coast
- Come From Away
- Hot Spots for History Buffs on the Avalon Peninsula
- South of Saglek: A Nunatsiavut Adventure
- Winter caving adventures in western Newfoundland
- Darwin Would Have Loved the Cliffs of Newfoundland…
- Top three attractions along Newfoundland and Labrador's…
- Mid Winter Bivver celebrates snowmobiling and food
- Western Newfoundland’s winter wonders
- A Week in Central Newfoundland
- Come From Away Finds the Humanity in Tragedy
- Come From Away: A Great Play Featuring The Awesome…
- 5 Not To Miss Spots on a Central Newfoundland Road…
- A 9/11 Parable, Resurrected in Newfoundland
- Come From Away: the musical that dares to deal with…
- The Surprises of Central Newfoundland
- Mistaken Point, N.L., Canada's New UNESCO Site, Holds…
- Things to do on the Irish Loop, Newfoundland
- Escape to Newfoundland’s Stress-Free Avalon
- Top 10 Oceanfront Cities
- Avalon Peninsula steals your heart
- Newfoundland and Labrador: Avalon Peninsula
- The best trail you’ve likely never heard of is on…
- Experiencing The Best of St. John’s Newfoundland…