- The beauty of Chamber Cove hides a tragic past and the heroic stories of the rescue.
- Memorial to USS Truxton and USS Pollux erected on the 75th anniversary of this tragic Naval Disaster.
- Imagine a 13 meter Tsunami Wave travelling at 100 km/hr toward an unsuspecting town. Seem unimaginable on this civilized day.
- The natural narrowing of the harbour concentrated the 1929 Tidal Wave toward the east side.
- The yellow flourspar vein runs through the granite shoreline.
Laurentian Legacy ToursSt. Lawrence
History is alive in St. Lawrence: The 1929 tidal wave swept away their livelihood, so the men of St. Lawrence dug their way to a new future in mining. In 1942 a WW2 convoy of American war ships ran aground in gale-force winds, so local miners and their women launched a heroic rescue – a tale of such humanity that it redefined race relations in the American Navy. Historical adventures with guided walking tours to the epicentre of the tidal wave and to the rescue site at spectacular Chamber Cove.
Locations & Dates
- 16 Fairview Ave, St. Lawrence
- 46.9239, -55.4020
- Jan 1 - Dec 31
- Adult $25, child free. Call for appointment.
- Email Money Transfer
- Customized Itineraries
- Group Rates
- Private Tour Service