- The beauty of Chamber Cove hides a tragic past and the heroic stories of the rescue.
- Memorial to USS Truxton and USS Pollux erected on the 75th anniversary of this tragic Naval Disaster.
- Imagine a 13 meter Tsunami Wave travelling at 100 km/hr toward an unsuspecting town. Seem unimaginable on this civilized day.
- The natural narrowing of the harbour concentrated the 1929 Tidal Wave toward the east side.
- The yellow flourspar vein runs through the granite shoreline.
Laurentian Legacy Tours
Jan 1 - Dec 31
History is alive in St. Lawrence: the 1929 tidal wave swept away their livelihood, so the fishermen of St. Lawrence dug their way to a new future in mining. Ancient geological events left a buried treasure of minerals. In 1942 a WWII convoy of American war ships ran aground in gale-force winds, so local miners and their women launched a heroic rescue. Discover historical facts, geological features and their personal stories as you hike through the town and along the shores of the Burin Peninsula
Locations & Dates
- 16 Fairview Ave, St. Lawrence
- 46.9239, -55.4020
- Jan 1 - Dec 31
Adult $30, child free. Call for appointment.
- Email Money Transfer
- Customized Itineraries
- Group Rates
- Private Tour Service