Basilica Cathedral of St. John the Baptist

St. John's

Built of Newfoundland and Irish stone, the church is in the shape of a Latin Cross. A town clock and nine bells, including the two-ton St. John Bell, hang in the twin towers. It is home to John Hogan's revered statue "Dead Christ" (1854). Its ornate Italianate ceiling is highlighted in gold leaf. A highlight of a visit is the statue of Our Lady of Fatima, brought to the Basilica in 1955 by 5000 Portuguese Fishermen of the famous "White Fleet". See www.thebasilica.ca for hours & visitor info.

Visit Website

Contact Information

Locations & Dates

  • Military Road, St. John's
  • 47.5674, -52.7103
  • Jan 1 - Dec 31

Online

Pricing

  • 0

Amenities

  • 2500