Former United Church Cultural GalleryFogo, Fogo Island
Constructed in 1877, the church was originally built by the Methodist congregation, after the previous church was destroyed by the Great Fire of Fogo in 1875. This church is symbolic of that reconstruction period on the Island and the community support and efforts that led to the church’s restoration. In 1925, the Methodist and United Churches in Newfoundland joined, and the name was changed to the Fogo United Church. The church was closed in the mid-1990s, and is now an art gallery and museum.