Brett House MuseumJoe Batt's Arm, Fogo Island
The Brett House Museum was built around 1870 by John Brett, and was extended on by John's son Charles. Charles spent time in England during WWI and was inspired by the architecture of British homes. The scalloped shingles on the outside of the extension are all hand-carved by Charles. His wife Matilda was a gifted craftswoman and her hooked mats are on display. The house remained in the Brett family until 1997, and the interior and the exterior remain in pristine condition.