Bleak House Museum
Home to some of the most powerful and influential people in the history of Fogo. Bleak House represents the differences between the merchant class and the fishing class in the community from a century ago. The dwelling was built around 1816 for local merchant John Slade. When he retired, it was bought by his then-partner, Henry Earle. Earle Sons and Company operated a successful import-export business but was forced to close in 1967, following the collapse of the fishery.
Location data provided by the operator. Please confirm location before departure.
The Bleak House Museum sits on an expansive tract of land, overlooking the harbour and community of Fogo. The gardens offer a beautiful picnic area, and playground for children. The Bleak House is a Registered Heritage Structure, and was the first building in the province to be restored under the Heritage Foundation's restoration program. In 1988, the Bleak House received the Southcott Award, which recognizes excellence in preserving architectural heritage in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Driving distances and calculations derived using Google Maps. Actual driving times may vary. GPS coordinates have been provided by tourism operators. Please confirm location with operator before departure.